Women’s Strength Nation founder Holly Perkins identified these as the 5 movements that every woman must be doing on a weekly basis to maintain muscle mass as you age and to reduce your risk of injuries. If done consistently, these 5 exercises alone will help to improve your metabolism, increase energy and stamina, improve overall strength, and boost your “Yay me!” attitude.
The Women’s Strength Nation Foundational 5 will strengthen all of the major muscle groups in your body, and reinforce the important movement patterns that your body makes throughout the day. The 5 moves will:
- Strengthen your legs to balance out the muscles on the front and back on your thighs, and improve overall tone
- Improve your body’s ability to pick up and pull heavy objects safely, a very important movement pattern
- Strengthen your butt to improve body mechanics and improve the influence of this powerful muscle group
- Improve the alignment and support of your spine by strengthening your back muscles
- Address the pushing muscles of your upper body that are particularly weak in the majority of women
- Increase the “communication” between your upper and lower body thereby strengthening your core muscles
Additionally, it is well documented that strength training is the most powerful tool you can use to improve your metabolism, reduce body fat, and avoid age-related weight gain.
Join Women’s Strength Nation by making a pledge to complete the following workout twice a week
Still a bit confused?
No worries! Here’s a step-by-step
Rule #1 of strength training
Demonstrate EXCELLENT technique!
To help you ensure this, we’ve created these short tutorial videos below for you!
Watch closely, study Holly’s form, and you’ll be an ace in no time.
Want some feedback? Post a video of your technique on Instagram and tag us with
@WomensStrengthNation or #WomensStrengthNation.
Holly will personally review your technique and offer tips.
Reverse Grip Pulldown
Flat Bench Press (Beginner)
(Pre set barbells up to 45 pounds)
Flat Bench Press (Advanced)
(Olympic Bar weighs 45 pounds)
Barbell Overhead Press
Band Lat Pulldown
Flat Dumbbell Chest Press
Band Overhead Press